Are you looking to have a new roof installed? While you might be thinking about a basic asphalt shingle roof, or something expensive like natural slate, it’s worth giving metal roofing a look too. Metal roofs are typically much cheaper when compared to slate and concrete, but they are not only almost just as resilient, but can also have many other benefits to offer as well.
Why Metal Roofing Might Be Better Than You Think
- Metal is highly resilient. Whether you choose a cheaper steel roof, a metal panel roof for commercial purposes, or a high end copper roof, you’ll find your metal roof can easily last for decades with very little required maintenance. Minimal care is typically required only, and a sturdy metal roof can be known to last for up to 50-75 years, depending on the specific material and workmanship.
- Since metal is a good conductor of electricity, some metal constructions can be made to act as a Faraday cage protecting your home from lightning. While other roofs might catch on fire, metal roofs can safely channel electricity to the ground without ever letting it touch your home.
- One of the main advantages of a metal roof is its remarkable versatility when it comes to the elements that it can protect your house from. Fireproof and able to protect you from storms, hail and snow, a well-designed metal roof can also act as a cool roof during the summer and reflect much of the harmful UV radiation that would threaten to overheat your home. Because of this fact, metal roofing systems are also known to be quite energy-efficient and able to reduce the load on your HVAC system to help you save a lot of money on heating and AC.
- Wind and hail damage are among the most problematic forms of damage that most roofs have to deal with. A sturdy steel roof can protect you from having to spend hundreds of dollars (or more) each year to fix dents, damaged flashing, as well as missing or cracked shingles. Experienced roof repair Gaithersburg contractors substantiate that steel is highly resilient, and the amount of money you can save over time by avoiding hefty repairs after powerful hail storms can be substantial.
- Aesthetics are also important when you get a new roof, and one of the greatest advantages of a metal roof is its exceptional diversity when it comes to the aesthetic textures and patterns it can mimic. With a reliable contractor at your disposal, you can have your metal roof imitate even the most intricate wood or slate patterns almost perfectly.
Should You Choose a Metal Roof?
Whether you live in an overly cold or overly warm area, metal roofing can help you a lot. With just a small investment, you can have a brand new, highly advanced metal roof installed in the place of your old one, and you’ll be free from spending a lot of money on roofing for many years to come.
With a new metal roof, you can avoid expensive storm damage repair, and it’s very likely that you won’t have to call a Gaithersburg roofer to have your roof replaced again for a very long time.